I have been diagnosed with major hypertension, which is only barely under control with max doses of multiple medications. I did some lab work a few months ago. The doctor ordered an Alderstone to Renin test, and when the result came in only the Alderston was ready and Renin wouldn’t be ready until after my appointment. The Alderstone was 6 ng/dL with a reference range of <= 30 ng/dL. The doctor didn’t say much about the missing renin results.
Come today I was curious so I went in and asked about the renin result, seems they didn’t get them. They called the lab which faxed over the result. I was a bit taken back at the result. My numbers are 48 ng/ml/h out a range of 0.29 - 3.7 ng/mg/h.
I understand that ACE inhibitor can increase renin levels, but should they be increased to this level. This is over 10 times about the upper limit.